CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, July 11, 2009

The Nemo Pinata

Carson turned "4" June 28, 2009.
I have always wanted to make a pinata, but never felt like I would have time. I started early this time. I didn't want to pay $40 for a Nemo pinata and shipping since you just hit the thing and it shreds to pieces. so....I looked for info on the the net and this is how it turned out. It did take a week because it has to dry before each coat. It was fun though, and a little therapeutic for me. I want to do crafts so bad...but I just get frustrated because I always get interupted!


First you blow up your balloon...don't try to fill it up too full our you'll scare the crud out of your kids by popping it (been there done that!). It was at night, back door open and I swear echoed down the slu in the backyard!


Then the fun begins. Mix 2 cups water to 1 cup flour in a medium bowl, and cup several strips of newspaper (put the kids in charge of this one...needless to say they don't have to be perfect!!) Dip strips in mixture and then pull through you two fingers to get excess off. Spread over the entire balloon so none of it is visible. Let dry over night and repeat at least 3-5 times.
Then decorate. I painted it orange first. Then cut long strips of tissue paper and glue them on. Corey made the eyes and mouth. We cut the fins out of cardboard, taped and glued them on, and decorated them to match. Then cut a hole on top and add the goodies.i

The hardest part was figuring out how it would hang with out ripping or falling. Thanks to my dad who rigged it. He used plastic ties to support the body, and then we attached the rope.

It worked perfect and cost...well less than $5.
Happy Birthday my Baby Boy!!